Thursday 4 December 2014

Return to Margit Island

Ok, so today wasn't great.  Let me explain. I left the appartmemt at 7am.  Firstly the ticket machine didn't work so I had to walk half a mile to the tram stop.  The sun coming up in the city was a nice sight though.


When I arrived at Margit I thought it might be nice to cycle around the island on one of those 'hire a bike' thingys but..you guested it, the machine didn't work.  I called the number on the machine but it did no good.  So I set off around the island on foot.  Same species as yesterday but with 19 Common Crane flying overhead (I'm guessing common Crane, they were huge, not Herons, Egrets, or Storks).  One extra thing I did notice was these cool makeshift bird feeders locals had put out (you have to look closely but they are there).  At one point I stood right inside the enclose of trees with the feeders and birds kept coming.  Great to see them so close you could touch!


No sign of Syrian Woodpecker I'm afraid.  So I headed west on the tram to the bus terminal and caught a bus to a place just outside the main city that had been recommended to us on birding pals.  I took the half mile walk to the beech forest entrance to find a manned police blockade!  Apparently the forest is closed due to severe storm damage.  It was at this moment I received this text from a very understanding, subtle and supportive Fylde birder.  Git.


This post may habe a few typos.  Written on phone in cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment