Wednesday 25 June 2014

Ribble Estuary

Lytham Jetty

Quite a dull evening and slightly cooler than it has been recently.  HT at 22:00 so tonight was a LT watch.  I spent a couple of hours on the jetty watching the comings and goings.  On arrival 14 Cormorant flew past which were to be the only ones I'd see.  Plenty of Eider still about with young and some males moulting.  No sign of any Common Tern but 2 Arctic with the 1 perched on the pink buoy two O'Clock of the jetty (seems to be a usual spot for this bird). A noticeable increase in Curlew with 9 present tonight.  Just before leaving I decided to count the the Mute Swans that congregate at the eastern end of the estuary.  As I panned left I spotted a Little Egret, very nice, I thought and continued to count my swans but I wasn't seeing Swans!  I was seeing Egrets and lots of them - 10 in fact!  Shortly after 7 flew off and the remaining 3 staying for an hour.

Oh and there were 19 Mute Swans.

No comments:

Post a Comment